Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Top 10 Anthems of our Generation

Well Hello there, my lil’ music fanatics


Today I thought to myself “well darn it...what should I write about in my latest post?!” Something interesting yet funny, something that’s exciting enough to talk about and maybe even buzzworthy.” And then IT hit me! The topic of the day should be “the anthems of our generation”. I mean...I always thought that John Lennon left us the beautiful song “Imagine”, Louis Armstrong “What a wonderful world”, Joan Jett & the Blackhearts “I Love Rock’N’Roll”...so what “musical heritage” would we leave our grandkids...the next generations to come? Would it be something unique, music and songs that represent; the spirit, mind & character of a generation? I’m talking about musical pioneers, art revolutionaries, that pushed the boundaries of a music genre, exploring it and aiding to it’s evolution, thus creating new musical styles that represented “the voice of a nation”.


The “Art of Music” in my opinion, should express through it’s “musical masterpieces” the : everyday struggles, hopes and dreams of ordinary people (like you and me) and nonetheless the; whole, versatile and beautiful “color palette of the human soul.” 
        So let us return to my initial question, can the “musical artists” of our time still create songs that can become, “eternal masterpieces” like: “Hey Jude” from The Beatles or “Blue suede shoes” by Elvis or Queen’s “Love of my Life”?


And let’s not forget about the Great Classics, because they're a vivid example for the “musical works of art” that until today, remain loved and remembered by music fans of all ages. Just think of Madama Butterfly's aria “Un bel di vedremo” (“One fine day...”) by Puccini from the Opera “Madama Butterfly” and the famous orchestral intermezzo the “Meditation” from the Opera “Thais” by Massenet. These renowned “musical jewels”, after 109 years (Madama Butterfly) and 119 years (Thais) since their premiere, still evoke in the heart of their listeners: “pure joy, and a sublime, bittersweet delightment!”. Their genuine, authentic message still withstands the passing of time.


After having stated all that...my answer to you “dear reader of this blog” is formulated into three examples of “chart topping songs” on the Billboard Hot 100 Charts, ranking every single one of them as number one favorites, for several weeks. And these songs are : LMFAO’s “Everyday I’m shuffling ”, Psy’s “Gangnam Style” and Dj Baauer’s “Harlem shake”... shocking isn't it?!


Well having said all that, let the “Musical Apocalypse” begin! Naaaaaaaaa...I’m just kidding “thee”. But now seriously, is this what we want to pass on as “music” to posteriority?! I’m sure I don’t want that...so I’ll propose a list of ten songs, and I’ll narrow it down to the last 13 years, I’m naming that list, “my top ten favorite songs” that I am proud of calling “the anthems of my generation”!Listen to them, tell me your thoughts on them and more importantly, post a comment with your “top ten favorite songs” of the last 13 years, that in your opinion represent the “crème de la crème” of your personal musical taste & that deserve the title of “anthems of our generation”!


My Top 10 potential music classics for posteriority”...

1 comment:

  1. Where is the Coldplay track? you gotta have a Coldplay track if ure making a top :)

    ReplyDelete